Friday, October 07, 2005

Pride and Prejudice


A couple of nights ago, I went to see the film, "Pride and Prejudice", based on a Jane Austen novel, capturing the fictional life of Elizabeth Bennet, her sisters and their parents during the Regency period of the Georgian era (late 18th and early 19th century).

Some things were of interest to me, namely;
How Dame Judi Dench and Brenda Blethyn tried to out-do each other with very high quality acting; How this was rubbed off and on to the younger actors like Keira Knightley and the guy who played Mr Darcy; How detailed and exquisite the film sets were in portraying Georgian England; How delicious it felt as the camera picked out the details of that era...etc

I was completely satiated in terms of the performances of the veterans, including Donald Sutherland, and adequately satisfied with the younger performers, but the set and cinematography, that was brilliant!

I wanted to go to Chatsworth, and in the film I was transported there! (That was Darcy's country house in Derbyshire, with the deer park!) And the script was funny! (in a good way)...I was laughing out loud throughout the film. I must admit that I have not read Jane Austen's novels, but now I think I will go and get the whole collection.

All in all, the film is an excellent "social commentary" on life during that period and I learned a lot from that. (It made sense now what Prof. Curl taught me during Architectural History class...) I am looking forward to indulge in "Oliver Twist" next, where I will be transported to the Victorian era, in industrial and congested London. Can't wait!

(Image taken from: http://www.chatsworth-house.co.uk/)

No comments: