Monday, May 22, 2006

Image of the Architect


Once upon a time, architects and engineers worked their designs using t-squares, set squares and drawing boards. Now they use computers of course.

I belong to the generation in Malaysia that started with the Imperial Units of Measurement in the beginning of my studies and had to change to the Metric System when I was still in the university. I am also those who did not get the full benefit of learning how to design using the computers and I believe people who are 10 years younger than me had the same dilemma although they are more computer savvy due to the exposure and expectations of their time at work. People younger than that started to work using the computer fully and those below 35 should have been able to pick up the skills of using Computer Aided Drawings tools and such, either at school (university) or at work.

Being a lecturer now I have the excuse, but I wonder if people my age who works as an architect have the skills to do CAD... I know for a fact that some do not and that might prove to be detrimental to their technical skills CV.


Pic taken from link

No comments: