His name came up during a "facebook chat".
It was by accident.
I was texting on Annie Proulx but my co-chatter thought I mentioned Marcel Proust.
I looked him up being vaguely familiar with the name. A philosopher I would think. Perhaps French by the sound of it.
I read a review on his work (see link)and am intrigued about what Proust has to say. The reviewer said:
Transitional though it may be, ''In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower'' contains the dramatic, glorious entrance, along the seaside boardwalk in the Norman resort town Balbec, of ''la petite bande,'' the little gang of budding girls led by Albertine, who will become Marcel's passionate, obsessive focus of interest later in the novel. As he immediately recognizes, with both excitement and anxiety, the girls represent ''that extension and potential multiplication of self which we know as happiness.'' But he recognizes also the impossibility of ever fully possessing Albertine: ''My desire for her was desire for her whole life: a desire that was full of pain, because I sensed it was unattainable.'' In the pursuit of that unattainable, Proust gives us an extraordinarily detailed chronicle of desire as exploration, as suffering and as knowledge.
And I also found a quote in a another website:
Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade.
It is extraordinary that Proust set out to explore a human condition, which is abstract, such as "desire", and produced a novel based on it.
I haven't read Proust, but I am intrigued nevertheless by Proust's approach.
4 comments:
desire what makes man searching for opportunity and be optimistic while possession makes a man selfish and power craze to claiming what theirs.
what's the difference between 'desire' and 'will' then?
i suppose desire is to be wanting something while will is the force to get them.e.g everyone hat the desire to be rich but they might not have the will to become 1.
The issue of "will" is at the crux of qada' and qadar. You see, when someone says "Insya'Allah" but do nothing, just waiting for things to happen, is not in the spirit of "will"...its a two way street between man and God...so in my opinion, man desires it but God Wills it to happen, however God Wills it based on man's will...hence, desire and will must come together for something to happen...when something does not happen, man did not will enough...desire is half-hearted...
Post a Comment