The comment was based on this article in Scientific American.
I think this is missing the point of how language impacts thought because it's too specific.
Language and culture impact the way things are considered. English is very unstructured. We make up new words constantly, change the meanings of words as we go, and really do what ever we want to the language to get across an idea. English speaking nations are also generally good at coming up with new things, re-inventing technologies and ideas. We're not terribly good when it comes to the detail of those ideas.
German is a very structured language. It's quite flexible, but the way new things are done is methodical. Words get longer and more specific and refined meanings are tacked on the end. That same structure is evident in the way Germans approach problems and solutions. There's an essential desire to be specific in a result. Most of the German engineers I know would rather not do something then do it in an inelegant way -- where the American engineers I know will solve a problem any way it can be solved, and worry about refining it later.
The Japanese language is highly structured and very finely detailed. The smallest nuance can have a big impact on meaning in spoken, written, or gestural language. It is not, however, very good at re-inventing itself for new ideas or concepts. In fact, most technology words end up being from other languages even if they come from Japan. This shows up in their engineering as well. They're amazing at taking a new concept and refining it, detailing it, and pulling out its essentials to put in an extremely efficient net package. I believe the 'exactness' of their language helps them communicate in a way that complements these traits. There's no vagueness at all.
Obviously these are archetypal social traits and examples will be freely found that don't match -- but there is a reason archetypes ring true on a broad basis.
One question I have though, is which comes first? Does language impact culture as I've described, or did language differences as described result from those cultural traits?
This lead me to the question: Am I what I am as a result of me speaking English or thinking in English?
I don't think I am "English" but totally am Malaysian. The English language is totally part of me being Malaysian.
2 comments:
i actually agree to that fact. there might be some exception since its global now. if we go back to the early civilization, it seems more obvious.that is why god made us different, to learn and appreciate each other.
yup - stop putting people in catalogs like IKEA (furniture never mind lah...)
Post a Comment