Wednesday, February 04, 2009

What is my PhD for? (Part 2)

They called me "doctor" every where I go.

Technically I have not got the doctorate yet. It is to be approved in April 2009, that is, if I submit the thesis proper. So I am not jumping around with complete joy yet.

However, it is done and dusted.The difficult part. The PhD Viva examination was completed.
So what's the deal?

I asked earlier about what the PhD is for? Was it for glory and being called "doctor"?

I never sell short of myself and under-perform just because I did not get my thesis done earlier. I was the same as I am now. I am not elevated to some kind of wunderkind or got a higher status just because I passed my viva. Yes, it was a difficult process and I sort of "won" something.

Maybe I won my dignity back or maybe I won my self-esteem, but I did not hide behind things. I made my way around and gave my two cents worth. I tried to put my unfinished thesis aside and concentrated on what is at hand. I did not shy away from other responsibilities but there were times when I had to reduce them.

Yes, I survived those years of not being able to finish my thesis. I functioned fully as a lecturer and contributed to other causes.

My PhD is for me, my mother, my late father, my family, my friends and my students.

The thing is about this PhD, it has assured me that I can write. It gave me immense satisfaction for my writing skills, although it's non-fiction. But at least, I was given good comments on my writing.

I want to keep on writing as it is some positive and affirming. My PhD was so that I could now say that I could author a book. For many more exciting moments to come.

No comments: