Thursday, February 23, 2006

Nuts and Bolts

M Bakri Musa's latest posting on Malaysian Education System struck a similar chord in my understanding of mission statements and how that could be translated to the classroom. He was suggesting practical objectives, which are really the "nuts and bolts" of making it all work. At the end of the day, as an academic I would want my students to be equipped with the essential skills to do the job right and have many possibilities to position themselves well in getting a job.

In the past, I had often found myself "lost" from the practicalities of teaching. No one else at fault, just my own doing. But I could have had a better guidance from my peers and my line managers, the head of department and dean. How does a team of academics keep a check on each other to keep to the objectives? What evidence will determine whether we all are on the right course of action?

We have a system, but I feel that it did not really work because it became a poltical farce in the end. It was ambitious. Anyway, this gives me something to think about when I start to teach again.

No comments: