I met Khoo Salma Nasution before she got married to Abdur-Razzaq, possibly in 1992 or is it 93? She was already quite prolific in Penang, writing deliciously portent articles with beautiful photographs on Penang's heritage magazine called "Pulau Pinang", which has stopped its circulation for quite some time. Khoo Salma then ventured into a variety of things and all to do with heritage, from being a conservation activist, to managing a heritage project (Syed Alatas Mansion) and even helping out Razzaq with the Mandailing book. I worked with Khoo Salma on the Penang's Conservation Guidelines drafts in 1996-97, and stayed at the magnificent 120, Armenian Street home at that time, for about one month at a stretch at one time.
Ever since I went into disability activism in 1998, I had worked less with Khoo Salma, but we kept on contacting each other.
Now she has gone back to what she knows best, writing those articles and snapping those photos, and editing the Lestari Heritage Network. It makes me think about the things that I do best, as well. It's a no brainer actually. Two things that people actually tell me that I do well, and that's teaching (training would be architects) and sketching ideas, and translating them visually.
No comments:
Post a Comment