Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Takayama - Day 2

I learned something new today.

Takayama is a real working example of inclusive society. Although the Japanese may not appreciate that much the word 'inclusive' because after all they are hierarchical structured society like Malaysia, maybe more so, but they do provide a very good example of how to make it very accessible.

Alan Hill, born in England and lived in New York, stated that he find Japan more accessible than the United States. Satoh mentioned to me that San Franscisco and Bekerley to be more accessible than Japan. Whatever it is, I find the Japanese people most endearing in their sense of duty and responsibility and their practical ways.

I am sure like in any society, they have many barriers to making the city accessible. Yamamoto-san said that it took them 10 years to come to where they are.

I said that Takayama is a good role model, yes, for other Asian cities especially for a historic city. I talked about us being stuck with the European model of preserving the historic city no matter what, but what about Takayama. Tomorrow we shall see, because I will be visiting Takayama historic city centre and the old Court House / Government building, Jinya.

Apart from that, a very interesting after dinner meeting chaired by Aiko where it states here from my observation;

ESCAP Meeting
Interesting interjection by Yamamoto-san for the group to reconsider what it is to be said in the Takayama Declaration. INteresting to see the political deliberation of the group meeting.

' LOST IN TRANSLATION'

No wonder that story / film really tells it about the foreigner in Japan. Even we can get it wrong with people of the same culture. Some things are more abstract though...

No comments: