Today I presented on behalf of Malaysia. I tried my best. Talked about the legislative and implementation mechanism, basically the People with Disabilities Act 2008, and its impact as an instrument; then quickly touched on the the role of disabled people and concluded. Not much, just 10 minutes.
The scope of discussion in on the built environment and transportation, with a bent on employment. I think I managed to get two points across, where I would have loved to get three or four points out. The points I got across is 1. the PWD Act 2008 and the role of the Council; 2. mechanisms of implementation and why its not working. I suppose I did my best. I was steady and realised that I could not discuss on the access audits and the UNDP pproject.
Anyway, I hope people learned something.
Yesterday, I visited the Jinya which is an old courthouse and beautiful 17th century timber building and I was so happy because it gave me a great example of accessibility to a historic building...
It was the era of the shogun...and there was a torture chamber right there in the courthouse. They wiped our wheelchairs after we had to be pushed up the steps via two ramps, one short 4 feet one and longer 10 feet one. Both are portable ramps. Then we wheeled across the tatami mats of the courthouse.
I really loved the jinya. I have no time now, but maybe next time, I would like to have a longer stay in Japan and the means to travel and visit all these historic places in Japan.
No comments:
Post a Comment