Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Local filmmaking: Breaking the mould

AllMalaysia.info: Local filmmaking: Breaking the mould

What's this then? (Refer to link).
Technical versus Conceptual.
I don't know what's the fuss about.
Okay, I am no film director or film-maker. But I figure that film-making has to do with the creative process, and I know a bit about that.

I find that the best films are not only well conceived, but well executed technically. Films like Wong Kar Wai's '2046', and the Thai movie, 'Last Life in the Universe' are those in the fore-front of cinematic gems.

I think Malaysian movie-makers (if it's true) should stop debating with each other and start pushing ahead film frontiers, and start competing with the others. For example, start competing with the Thais for example.

Well yes, there is the issue of censorship in Malaysia, but to me there is no excuse if you compete individually out there with other foreign films.

I keep on seeing more Thai films being screened in Manchester, and only once in a year, Malaysian films will be screened during the Commonwealth Film Festival and even that only once. If they are lucky, twice.

Thai filmes get screened for a week during regular screen sessions not in a once a year festival.

Perhaps, it is just like Thai football versus Malaysian Football then? Malaysia just have to many internal jealousies and bickering and the Thais just decide to buy Liverpool Football Club and compete with top class teams!

It's all in the attitude, and if we start spending more time on this we will realise that this Malaise (pronounced Malay) have invaded other aspects of the Malaysian life. We need to turn it around. Now.

No comments: