I am in the middle of doing my 2nd chapter and it is not easy. People probably wondering why PhD is so hard, and I tell you why, as now I know why. The writing part of PhD is hard because you need to get the point and elaborate in your own words. You are actually trying to summarize what you read and what you find and summaries of sentences make up paragraphs of summaries (got me?) and from one paragraph to another they have to flow to make a coherent (note) story.
It's like this. Try writing a story from your own words (that may be easy) but try writing a story about a topic (say, pedestrian crossings) based on 3 or 4 different people saying about that topic. Okay, that's one paragraph, try doing 50,000 words! (One paragraph could be 50 words). How many words can you make to write about pedestrian crossings anyway? And, you have to find new things to say about it based on one or more research method/s. Come to think of it, you might just get a Masters in Philosophy only. So, how to get a PhD? I got to figure that out... that's why it's difficult.
Actually, what I want to share today is not about PhD but about the film which I am going to see tonight. It's an Iranian film called Marmoulak, meaning 'The Lizard' It was banned in Iran after being shown for awhile because it was a satire on the ulamak (religious leaders), who did not take kindly to the story. It's a comedy (hence, satire), where a petty thief decided to pose as a mullah to escape jail and it became too much when the people wanted him to be their leader. Well, I am looking forward to see the film.
With all these issues on Muslim Leadership in the UK recently, I am interested to see this film, from the Iranian perspective. So, I hope to give my view on it later. But for the time being, I am sharing something from a film review website.
Here is a review by Michael Hayden,
"...Released in Iran to a whirlwind of protest that made Christian America's reaction to Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ look like a Sunday school scuffle, The Lizard had been hugely popular with the public and broken box office records before the government decided to pull the film under intense pressure from the influential Islamic clergy. The appealing comic set up may give a hint as to why it caused such outcry. Reza (Parvis Parastouie) is a petty thief who escapes jail by posing as a mullah. When he has to stay in disguise for longer than he expected, he accidentally becomes the revered leader of a smalltown mosque, bringing people flooding in with his on the hoof sermons featuring sexual innuendo and references to 'brother' Tarantino's Pulp Fiction. While clearly satirical, The Lizard is never overly cynical, and, with Parastoui's turn, contains a comic performance curiously reminiscent of, and indeed worthy of comparisons to, Eric Morecombe or Les Dawson. It's a million miles, then, from the serious artistic statements of a Kiarostami or a Makhmalbaf for which Iranian cinema is renowned, but that just makes it all the more refreshing..."
1 comment:
I'm doing PhD in engineering and the whole experience is so different from yours. In my area, words don't really matter at all. It's the result that can be described in a 10 page journal of highest standard. One or two of those, and you're on your way to PhD. But I guess doing this kind of work is 1000 times harder than doing a PhD in psychology or philosophy.
Post a Comment