I had just seen the film two hours ago. It is really a finely crafted satire, that threads delicately, between 'taking the mickey' out of the mullahs, and a soulful and engaging drama of redemption. It did a lot of things without being overdone, and it tells a very plausible story, where I recalled an acquaintance of mine once did.
I remembered in Pekan, in 1981, when we did measured drawings as a group of architecture students. One of the guys although a bit older than us, looks much older, and he had a spot of beard as well. He decided to wear one of those red and white long head scarfs into a semi turban and a white flowing robe for Friday prayers. He told us that, after the prayers, people at the congregation went to him to shake his hands, literally, went out of their way towards him. A few even kissed his hands.
Back to the film. Even a con artist cum thief or anyone for that matter, with the right garb, the confidence, and some oratory skills could convince people that they are the real deal. A religious leader. But I always think the garb and shall we say, outer form is the first impressionable 'pull' that convince people.
I leave you with some more interesting websites on the film:
Tiscali Film Review
Persian Journal
No comments:
Post a Comment