Friday, August 19, 2005

Salford Penitentiary

From October 2002 until the week before last, I studied at the Bridgewater Building, at the Meadow Road Site of the University of Salford.

The university is infamous for its barbed-wire looping around the building facade, parapet walls and fences all over the campus. A Scottish professor in Malaysia used to tell me how terrible the place was, but really, I had no choice as a PhD student. You would be choosing a university for the supervisor more than the university. But after staying here in my 34th month, I now know why.

The Bridgewater Building is located at the other side of the campus across the Peel Park, which unfortunately is lovely with lots of trees, provide hiding places for muggers and rapists. Two women were sexually assaulted last summer at the park, and women must cross the park with an assistant. My friend Stephie said that she had to ask a security guard to cross the park with her most of the times. It is terrible when you are a pedestrian around this area.

But now Stephie and I are at the other side of the campus, with spanking new facilities including cafes, banks, shop, galleries, library, leisure centre etc.

So, the picture below is a reminder of our life at the Salford Penitentiary.... doesn't it look like a prison? No, the broken furniture in the foreground was not the result of inmates throwing them out in a riot. This building will be torn down and I believe the site will be sold.


[Picture taken courtesy of Vanja Garaj. View taken from the pedestrian walkway to the Bridgewater Building.]

No comments: