My viva examination is around the corner, and I have to prepare for it. I will eventually do that and am trying to sort out many other things.
I realised that working in KL at a high level management capacity is really strenuous. You really need to know your stuff instinctively, especially if you set high standards for yourself. Preparation is often done quickly, getting key decisions done and (like driving in Malaysia) get into a defensive mode to line up your excuses.
I don't really like what is going on, but you are in the system and you have to work your way through with the system. You have to find meaningful activities rather than just skim through work.
KLites and other busy city dwellers would probably feel the same things and choose to prioritise and treat other activities in a "lip service" manner.
So what do you choose?
I feel that the group of people most unfortunate in these circumstances are those in the lower rungs of the hierarchy, like students. It is true that students demand more but then again it's a Catch 22 for them. Where is the monitoring to ensure delivery and how to make sure that what is delivered is top quality?
Well, getting back to my topic of conversation, I am trying not to panic as I would like a good start for the semester, for my students, for myself and this would feed-off to others.
Just a bit more to do and I will be able to read my thesis for the viva.
No comments:
Post a Comment