I made my signature dish for the New Year.
Gulai Lemak Ayam... (Chicken Coconut Curry Minang style)
Some bits of daun kunyit (tumeric leaves) were still frozen (from last September 2005) and with that secret ingredient at hand, it gave me enormous confidence to cook this family dish for the New Year celebrations.
I only know how to cook it this way, like my mother did. Although I think she probably had more ingredients at hand in Malaysia.
In cold Prestwich, I just have to make do with what's there, but without the daun kunyit, the dish does not have the added extra, to declare that it is the " gulai lemak ayam"!
By the way, this is the only authentic traditional Malay dish that I know how to cook.
My mother once said, "Stay!" I was tip-toeing away to see the television, trying to get away. "Well you are my only daughter, so you must know how to cook at least this dish! It is our family dish. Here, kupas bawang! (Peel the onions.)"
I always grumbled, how come my brothers never had to help in the kitchen... but come Eid Mubarak preparations, they had to kupas bawang also! But then, I was graduated to buat kerisik (fried dessicated coconut)...so penat (tiring)...sigh!
Compared to shivering my cockles in the cold weather here, I'd rather be cooking a whole meal in Malaysia right now!
So, whatever you do, whoever you are, I wish you a Happy 2006! I hope my 2006 will be as wonderous and interesting as my 2005...
No comments:
Post a Comment