Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Winner of the Whitbread Book of the Year Award 2005

[Pic. of Matisse's "lecon-musique" can be seen on this website.]

The headlines said,
"Biographer Hilary Spurling has won the prestigious 2005 Whitbread Book of the Year award for the second part of her masterful biography of Matisse, Matisse the Master, a work which took her 15 years to complete. "

The other day, I noticed this book, and I really wanted to buy it. Before the author won the award. Spurling told an interviewer, in the beginning, the experts were not very encouraging as they said that Matisse's life was considered to be boring. But she thought, how could someone who painted so wonderfully could be boring, and true enough, when she researched documents, including correspondences and family papers obtained from Matisse's grandchildren, she unearthed a character arguably more interesting than Picasso. (See article.)

I really have a lot of respect for someone who can make a biography a joy to read. I flicked through the book, and it was something that I would love to read.


[Pic. of Matisse's "robe-violette-anemones" can be seen on this website.]

Guidelines of writing and getting a book published.

No comments: