Saturday, July 30, 2005

From Bentong to Manchestee (Part 1)

I live in Salford, about 7 minutes drive away from my school at the University of Salford. I live near Sedgely Park in Higher Broughton. The area is full of kosher food eateries and synagogues.

It is part of a bigger area called Prestwich, which straddles on both Bury City Council and Salford City Council. It is complicated but if you come here, the character is easily discernible by a strong community identity of the predominantly Jewish neighbourhood, leafy with handsome houses on relatively clean streets. Well dressed children, men with hats and suits and women with dresses are a common sight walking along the pavements and streets. Most women wear long skirts (no pants), so people would look at me with a question, although there are non-Jewish people around. Perhaps they were thinking 'from where do I come from'. I have not met any Malaysians living in Prestwich.

I used to live in Withington, in South Manchester, before moving to Prestwich, which is 20 minutes drive away from school. I needed to pass Rusholme, a local tourist area, which is famous for the mile-long street full of curry houses where you could find 52 halal restaurants, for your once a week different curry experience!


Here is part of Rusholme, and at the corner is Jaffa and further down is Sinbad, that caters for Arabic food. The former is owned by Palestinians and the latter by Iraqians.

I often buy halal meat in this area rather than around Cheetham Hill where many Malaysians live, although Cheetham Hill is nearer to me. I don't frequent Cheetham Hill that much, except to visit Suraya. I use to visit Khairuddin and Zaleha, his wife, before they left for good. Once and awhile I buy some halal meat there.



In central Manchester, at the very beginning of my stay, I use to hang out around St Peter's Square, where the Central Library is as shown above, but my usual venue is the Manchester City Art Gallery. I was first attracted to it because the additional design in 2002 was done by Sir Michael Hopkins, and the original was done by Sir Charles Barry.

He was the architect for the Houses of Parliament in the early to mid- Victorian Era, but I really like the Neo-Classical design of the art gallery in Manchester. It is interesting to note that he designed the Houses of Parliament with Pugin in Neo-Gothic and is equally competent at designing a Neo-Classical masterpiece like the art gallery. He finished the building of the Manchester City Art Gallery in 1824-35, and right after that, subsequently did the House of Parliament in London, which completed in 1868. He had died earlier in 1860.


The front elevation of Sir Charles Barry's building which is a Grade 1 listed building. A two way tram rail-line runs along Moseley Street. Accessible carparks exist at the side roads.


The front elevation's detail of the pediment on top of the portico, which is the main entrance of the building.

I shall write more about the Manchester City Art Gallery later on as it is the pilot study for my thesis.

No comments: