This newspaper article caught my attention. How Universiti Sains Malaysia is confident of receiving disabled students into their campus. And they have a much more difficult infrastructure than many other campuses due to the hilly terrain.
I was involved with a Disability Awareness Training programme at USM in January 2002, and I thought that programme was one of the more successful ones, as I noticed the Vice Chancellor was taking a real interest on what was happening.
Even the number of participant and their enthusiasm was greater than the ones I had seen in other training programmes, and the number of high ranking officers involved were relatively more. They were genuinely concerned.
So here is the evidence, in the newspaper report. And to hear the same VC voicing out his confidence. I feel good about this.
I would contribute the success to the leadership of the VC. >>>
Stroke patient is a picture of determination
PENANG: Neither age nor disability is a barrier to pursuing higher education as proven in the case of wheelchair-bound stroke patient Mohamed Mohd Ali who is among Universiti Sains Malaysia's (USM) latest intake.
Mohamed, 51, who is pursuing a degree in Social Sciences, had been paralysed on the left side of his body for the past seven years after he suffered a stroke at his home in Klang.
Asked if campus life would be too challenging for him, the gutsy father of four replied: “There are challenges everywhere, even at home. I am confident of coping well given my inner strength and determination.”
|
Mohamed and his wife Siti Surina Mokmi, 48 at the familiarisation course at the USM campus Saturday. |
He spent the past seven years keeping up with current news and latest developments in the construction field, and writing.
“I wanted to apply for the first intake of USM's Lifelong Education Programme for senior citizens last November but could not as my eldest daughter, Nor Syaadila, was taking her SPM examination then.
“I enrolled in this programme while Nor Syaadila will be joining Universiti Selangor this month,” he told reporters at the USM campus in Glugor here yesterday.
USM vice-chancellor Prof Datuk Dzulkifli Abdul Razak said the university had a total intake of 5,602 students in its three campuses this year.
“We have 38 senior citizens, which is more than double the first intake of 17 people last year,” he said, adding that there were 120 disabled people.
He said 20 men and 20 women with special needs would be housed at hostels specially fitted with features such as special toilets, railings and ramps.
Among them is Lee Ling Tze, 20, who at 124cm tall, is slightly shorter than her nine-year-old sister Ling Yi.
The diminutive lass from Setapak, Kuala Lumpur, who is pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Biology, and her parents ASP Lee Ewe Kiong, 48, and Lim Kui Suang, 47, were pleased with the facilities at the hostel.
“This is the first time our eldest daughter will be living on her own but we are confident that she would be able to adjust to life away from home,” said ASP Lee.
No comments:
Post a Comment