On Saturday, 4th of June, Judy and I went to the
I reasoned out why this building got nominated for the RIBA Award for Inclusive Design 2004. The refurbished listed building's basement area was dedicated for private areas and the only public area are the toilets and an education centre. Upstairs were the main exhibition space, shop area, reception and seating area to sip tea. Although they maintained the old columns and much of the internal wall system,there was evidently a 'good flow' for visitors to move around without any effort to overcome change of levels. The graphics and signs were clear and the management were helpful. The building is located within the old Fish Market building complex, which had been refurbished into apartments as well.
We went to the Manchester Museum (which had been written about earlier), and I sat at the cafe while Judy went round taking photos, as I wanted to conserve my energy.
We bundled ourselves into the car to head south of Manchester to have a quick tour around the fringes of the Peak District. On the way we stopped at a pub called the 'Dog and Partridge' and had our lunch there. The place was very accessible and it was a delight to Judy to discover a restaurant which has most of the features required, but the service was lacking in accessibility.
The Peak District tour was interesting as the roads were undulating, as much as the landscape did. "Sheeeeep!", screamed Judy."Slow down, slow down," instructed Judy. "Quick-lah take the photo, got car behind," I urged hurriedly. " Cowwww..." she cried, and the scenario repeated again. The weather was kind and although it got cloudy sometime, Judy said she was pleased, or so she said diplomatically.
We managed to catch a film at the Cornerhouse called ' The Keys of the House' which featured a disabled teenager and his father who decided to reunite with him after 15 years of 'running away' from his responsibilities. Film Review
We took the opportunity to have an access audit done on the premises, and discovered that the small theatre, ie Cinema 3, had a ramp and Judy had to be assisted to get to the seating area.
I assisted Judy in obtaining the coach tickets to Bristol, the next day. She will go on a round trip to see her godmother after she finished at the end of the week, and I shan't be seeing her after that as I will only get back to Manchester on Friday.
We managed to discuss about my future in activism when I get back to Malaysia, and a possible project to be done once I get back next year. Judy is very persistent that way. That is why she and her group in Singapore had been successful in their efforts to include disabled people's concerns and needs, by working with the authorities.
No comments:
Post a Comment