Sunday, June 26, 2005

Creating a culture of complaint

Complaint is defined as an "...act or statement to express dissatisfaction at something..."
I became adapt at being a 'serial complainer', if there is such a thing, after joining in the Disability Movement in 1998.

Well, I did not know that I was joining the Disability Movement then, but there is one going on. A conscious effort in trying to improve things for the disabled people, in the world, and my country.

So, I picked up some 'learning' and some 'skills' when I was trained a few times with the UNESCAP since 1998, and even used what I learned to improve my teaching programmes in UM.

Whenever I went to shopping complexes or any buildings in Malaysia, I start 'auditing' the place in my mind and if I come across a problem, ie the lack of disabled toilets, disabled toilets cannot work, or has been used as a storage area, or the lack of parking for the disabled person, I would either go to the reception counter and tell them (which is the least effective), or write a note of complaint and give to the reception (works some time), or write an extensive letter to the Managing Director or Property Manager (usually works, cause I sound like as if I am going to write to STAR or NST or even worse, Malay Mail, if they did not do something, ESPECIALLY when I take a photo of the problem and show to them). That usually nails it!

At the beginning, it was usually a bad feeling of anger and disgust accompanying my complaints, but after being used to doing it, it is just a job. Because we have to do it. We have to press for change and don't give up.

Well, I would like to share my latest entry to Peter Tan's blog, below.

>>>

Peter,

I make it a point (almost every time)to complain to the service provider whenever there is none or lack of services given to the disabled person. Generally, they would comply because they are running a business and bad press is not good for them.

In our complaint, it would be good to give specific suggestions to them, which could include sizes and specifications.

I think if many disabled persons and able-bodied people would show concern for the abuse of using accessible toilets by complaining to the owners of shopping complex EVERY TIME there is cause to complain, they would instruct their staff to be strict with who could use the accessible toilets. And in some places, will start using the 'key system'.

Parents with babies can also start complaining about lack of facilities to have nappy change. So we could expect facilties to be upgraded.

People in general should start complaining about dirty toilets and give suggestions on how to improve.

At first, when we start to complain we would get upset and angry, but after awhile, we keep doing it consciously and we won't feel so bad, and in the long run, we help to contribute to a better environment. It will take time.

(Thanks for sharing your experiences via the blog.)

No comments: