Wednesday, June 01, 2005

OUCH!

I went to the dentist again this afternoon.

The dentist surgery is located in the middle of a row of terrace houses on Oxford Road, Manchester, next to the ...
  • Manchester Museum.


  • The first time I went there, I had to park almost illegally at a side road not far from it. But I having used my brain a little, I found out that (of course), there is a row of parking spaces for disabled visitors to the Manchester Museum near the ...
  • forecourt to the main entrance.


  • For the third time, I flashed my blue badge (which had saved me lots of money on parking charges and reduced my walking) to the security guard at the barrierred post, who by now is quicker to press the button, as I have become more familiar to him. As I passed him, I always felt that he will start scolding me, for he had that stern look of someone who had to deal with all this nonsense many times before. My Mancunian cum Malay accent was used along with a sickly grin (aren't they all), trying to make myself look not guilty.

    But then, I asked myself, "Why should I feel guilty? I have the blue badge. I am qualified medically as disabled. And I am going to the Manchester Museum, like I told the guard. Although I may just be passing through while utilising their toilets."

    Forget that. It is no use arguing with myself. What happens next at the dentist was to me quite amusing.

    You know how I dread the PAINFUL tooth extraction, so I was thinking that I may need to tell the dentist that I need some local anaesthetic to reduce the pain. I went in. I was not afraid. I just sat there. Did not say a word apart from the description of my problem. And "shuck" the dentist pulled the bit of tooth out. As he pulled it quickly, I found myself yelping, "Ouch!" Yes, it's not "Oww" or "Argghhh" or "Arrrr". It's a noticable ouch! And loud at that. Perhaps a little to loud for those waiting outside. I suppose I actually wanted to shout out loud, as I did not do so the other day. Sort of a belated release action. I think it was painful... I mean, when he pulled...

    Managed to put on a light banter at the end, saying to the dentist, "That was not so painful..." No need to pay, of course, as it was the dentist's mistake that the bit was left on earlier.

    I left totally relieved of this torture and lightened by getting rid of the burden of a smelly rotting tooth.

    I felt excited ... like the star of a mouthwash commercial. Not conscious of having a silly grin.

    No comments: